Friday, January 1, 2010

A Chilly Start to the New Year......

There is nothing more delicious than a cup of homemade hot chocolate with a big squirt of whip cream on it. I tried to take a picture of it to share it with all of you but tonight I am not the best photographer. You will have to use your imagination this time. I can tell you.....it is simply delicious. Vince, is the master chef when it comes to making the hot chocolate. I never mastered the art of making it from scratch. I could learn...but, it seems to make it all the more special when Vince makes it. So, for the special memories it makes for my children and our family, I will sit back and enjoy...

Another year came to a close at the stroke of midnight last night and another year took its place in the pages of time. It is common to take a moment on reflect on the passing of the year. Some look back with regret and others look back in awe....This year I am grateful I survived it all. If I had to chose one word to describe the passing year it would be change. Nothing stayed the same and it seemed as fast as I recovered from one incident another challenge was thrown our way.

Vince took time off from coaching High School football to spend more time coaching Middle School Football and work twice as hard without getting paid. From that he moved right on to coaching the High School Swim Team......yep, that alarm goes off about 4:20 am and out the door he goes with Berkley to swim practice. I think I am most proud of him for being willing to take the lead and finally convince me we could buy a house. Yes, he bought me my dream.....our beautiful home. Vince lost his Father on December 15th. He spoke at his funeral and dedicated the burial site. His tribute to his dad will remain a precious memory.

Berkley started High School and found her place in Chorus and Show Choir. She maintains excellent grades as she balances it all with early morning seminary and swim practices and everything else she does. Her energy is endless......She has learned so many valuable skills this year as she helped me out so much when I was sick this past year. I am so proud of her. I love being her Mia Maid teacher each Sunday. I appreciate that she loves having me be there. She is such a good example....I think I learn more from her than she does from me.

Tyler entered the 7th grade and played football on the Middle School Team. It seemed to be his year for visiting the ER. His two front teeth got knocked off during a football game. He also had two bouts of pneumonia and had a rough time with his Asthma. But, all of that couldn't stop him from enjoying Scout Camp this past summer and all the other things he has done. He is a wonderful son. I am grateful to be his mom.

Madilyn never keeps us bored. Two surgeries and a billion trips to Childrens Hospital and she is still smiling. It is a joy to see how well she is doing in Kindergarten. She loves school! Madilyn was only able to go to school for two and a half weeks before she had to miss a month due to her spinal surgery. It was so hard. But, after her surgery, everyone was so amazed at how her life changed. She gained back everything she lost and then some. What a year! I am so grateful that the Lord blessed her with such a great ability to recover from all the difficulties her life is filled with. It is very humbling to be her mother.

Me, well.....I would settle for a slightly calmer year in 2010. Last year....I worked for AJC, I drove my car into a river, I got some strange thing called Erythema Nodosum (sp?), I tried to deal with my diabetes, I moved into a new house, stayed in the hospital with Madilyn alot, delivered forgotten lunches and gym clothes to my family and did so many other things that I can't type them all. I even turned 40! I was very sick when my birthday came.....but, I loved that day. I love Birthdays!

We have been blessed. Our house is warm and we have food in the pantry. We were able to spend time with our family during December. Our unexpected trip home for the passing of Vince's Father was bittersweet. We were able to reconnect with those we love during a difficult time of saying farewell to Grandpa.

The decorations are all put away and the vacation is about to come to a close. Promise fills the thoughts of a New Year. Hope floats on the wings of those that dare to fly. I will continue to work on myself this year. Resolutions have been declared. I will work as steady as I can on them. Mostly, I will strive to love more completely. Accept the things I can not change and change those things I can. The everyday moments are precious. I understand how fragile life is and hope that I can embrace each moment with passion.

1 comment:

rich and steph said...

Beautifully written my sweet friend. You summed it up perfectly. I had an up and down year too but I have grown spiritually from my challenges that I never would have. Plus, I hope that by my going thru this particular trial that my children never have to:) More pics of your dream house girlie!!